Do you constantly get bothered with the frizzy strands, itchiness, and dryness of your hair, or do your fingers get entangled with your hair whenever you try to style it? Don’t worry! You are not alone.
These hair issues are common not just with women but also with men. In fact, these hair issues are a signal that you need to start taking better care of your hair.
While most people pay attention towards pampering their skin, hair care is often neglected. Your hair also needs regular nourishment; the best way to do it is by using a hair mask. Hair masks are creamy formulas that are made for giving hair a good healthy boost.
If you are spending your money buying expensive conditioners and shampoo but still experiencing hair damage, then you need to give hair masks a try because the best Ayurvedic hair masks can do wonders for your hair instantly.
3 Best Hair Mask Recipe Ideas
Everyone has their preferences when it comes to hair masks. Few people need a hair mask just for treating damage, while others want to add a dollop of moisture and radiance.
To be honest, to make our hair happier, we may need to empty our pockets. But, thankfully, we can make these hair masks at all the comforts of home with the ingredients that are already in your pantry. Homemade hair masks are best for repairing and smoothening cuticles that are damaged from pollution, coloring, etc. Also, each mask is made for a specific hair type, either oily, dry, frizzy, coarse, and wavy.
1.Henna Amla Hair Mask – To stimulate hair growth
Henna Amla hair mask is undoubtedly the best DIY natural hair mask for hair growth. Every ingredient in this powerful mask has been tested as a remedy for treating hair issues and offering healthy and strong hair. Both Amla and Henna are known to curb hair loss. Henna also removes extra dirt and grease when it’s used for hair regularly; it not only cures dandruff issues but even keeps it away from coming back again.
This hair mask is filled with proteins that prevent hair fall and nourish hair. Eggs are wealthy in protein, and this is crucial for healthy hair. Fenugreek clears the scalp and minimises hair loss.
Amla Powder – 1 Cup
Henna Powder – 3 Tablespoons
Fenugreek Powder – 2 Tablespoons
Egg White – 1
Lemon – 1
- Make a good paste of Amla, henna, and fenugreek powder by including a little water in the mixture.
- Also, add lemon juice and one egg white to the mix.
- Let this mixture soak for an hour.
- Then apply this mixture to the hair, right from the roots, and work it throughout your hair length.
- Leave it for 45 mins to an hour.
- Then rinse it with cool water and mild sulfate-free shampoo. Don’t use hot water that can cook the egg in your hair pack.
2. Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai Hair Mask – To prevent dandruff
The potent mix of three herbs, Amal, Reetha, and Shikakai, works wonders in preventing dandruff when applied on hair and scalp.
Being rich in antioxidants and flavonoids, Amla is known to reduce radical damage, ensure your scalp doesn’t lose color, and even improve hair length. Amla keeps your scalp safe from itching and saves you from unnecessary hair loss. Reetha is an anti-inflammatory herb that gets rid of itchy scalp and scalp irritation. The Amla, Reetha, and Shikakai hair mask is a total saver from dandruff.
Amla juice – 2 Tbsp
Reetha powder – 1 Tbsp
Shikaki powder – 2 Tbsp
Rosewater – 2 Tbsp
- Add amla juice, Reetha powder, Shikakai powder, and rose water in a bowl.
- Mix it well to form a paste.
- Apply it on the hair and scalp
- let the mask sit for 30 mins and rinse it with water
3. Bhringraj and Neem Hair Mask – To Prevent Premature Greying
Bhringraj provides such a cooling effect on the scalp and prevents premature graying and hair loss. Applying neem oil regularly can help in treating premature graying. Neem is an antibacterial agent that battles with fungus on the hair and scalp.
- Make a thick paste of both neem and Bhringraj leaves using water.
- Then apply it to the scalp and leave it on for about two hours.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Try to apply this paste once a week for better results.
How To Apply A Hair Mask?
Unless you have severe and highly damaged hair or dry hair, a hair mask should be applied once a week. If you need extreme hair care, then use a hair mask after every hair wash cycle. Here is the routine to follow while applying a hair mask for better results.
- Shampoo and rinse hair according to the regular routine
- Then pat hair dry by using a towel for absorbing moisture. Don’t let it dry completely.
- Make a dollop of hair mask based upon your hair length and apply it evenly
- Let the hair mask stay for 10 – 15 minutes or the required amount.
- Then, using lukewarm water, rinse thoroughly.
- For better results, finish off with cold water. As cold water can seal the cuticles.
- It is always recommended to go with a towel dry or air dry to prevent heat damage on newly conditioned locks.
A little bit of mask is enough, so work in portions and don’t use the whole jar at once. These simple directions, with regular use, can make your hair shine like a diamond.
How long should you leave a hair mask on your hair?
For better results, apply a hair mask in the shower; the steam helps unlock the hair’s cuticle. Leave the mask on your hair for two minutes to 10 minutes.
For less porous hair or tightly coiled textures, you need to use fingers to work in the product. Then wrap hair in a damp and hot towel for 5 minutes.
Can you leave a hair mask on for too long?
It mainly depends on the hair mask you are using. For moisture masks or Hydrating Masks, you can leave your mask overnight but make sure to use a hair cap.
For protein treatments, it is better to follow label instructions, as leaving your hair mask too long makes hair absorb more protein, leading to hair breakage.
How Often Should You Use a Hair Mask?
It is always recommended to use a hair mask once a week. If your hair looks dry and more damaged than usual, make it two to three times a week.
Why Should You Use a Hair Mask?
A deeply nourishing hair mask could do wonders for your hair strength and shine. It’s very crucial if you have got frizzy, damaged, and dry hair.
Hair masks are packed with refreshing and hydrating ingredients. They target specific hair issues and types too. For example, a hair mask for dry scalp is formulated with oils or butter-like argan oil, shea, etc. These ingredients help in adding shine and replenishing hair. Other healing ingredients, like Honey, are helpful for damaged hair. Trust me, regular usage of hair masks will bring the best out of your hair.